Open Air Burning
Open air burning within the Township of West Lincoln is prohibited without a permit. To obtain a burn permit, call the Township office at (905) 957-3346 between 9 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday to Friday. Approval is required for each day and time that you plan to burn. There is no charge to obtain a burn permit.
The following rules apply to all open air burning:
- Keep the fire small enough that you can control it without outside help.
- The fire must be attended at all times by a competent person.
- Please be considerate of your neighbours. If you are in doubt of changing weather conditions such as wind direction, start a very small fire as a test, or better yet postpone the burn until a better day.
- Avoid periods of extreme dryness when grass and brush can rapidly accelerate a fire out of control.
- Burn clean wood and brush only. Burning materials that are environmentally harmful such as tires or petroleum-based products, creosoted or pressure-treated wood, etc. is not permitted.
- Do not burn after dark. Unnecessary alarms are often turned in by concerned neighbours who have not identified the object that is burning. The fire department then has to respond which results is wasted tax dollars and fire apparatus and personnel being unavailable to respond to a real emergency.
- Backyard recreational fires are generally approved as long as they are small, confined to a pit and not causing problems for your neighbours.
Property owners and tenants are subject to a fee of $410 per hour per fire truck that responds to an unauthorized burn. Additionally, unauthorized burning is a violation of the Ontario Fire Code and is subject to prosecution.